Dark Brahma Chickens are very big, extremely winter hardy and strong. They have fluffy feathering with lots of down. Dark Brahma Chickens are colored in the classic Silver Penciled feather patterning. Male Dark Brahmas have a silvery head, neck, breast, and back. The females have solid white heads, and black silvery penciling on the neck and over the rest of the body. The Brahmas pea comb, face, and wattles are bright red, and their legs are yellowish. Feathers cover their feet and shanks, keeping them warm in winter. Their docile, gentle, and quiet temperament makes them one of the best breeds around children. They sometimes go broody and are attentive mothers. They are not the best choice of breed for very hot areas though.
Approx. 180+ Brown Eggs/year | Mature Wt.: Male 12# Female 9.5#
- Poultry Show Class: Asiatic Class
- Weights: Hen: 9 1/2 lbs. Rooster: 12 lbs.
- Purpose and Type: Production, Eggs & Meat
- Color Egg Shell: Brown
- Egg Production: 180+ eggs per year
- Egg Size: Medium-Large
- Temperament: Docile
- Gender Accuracy: 85-90%
- Broody: Setter
- Country of Origin: Asia
- APA: Yes, Recognized by the American Standard of Perfection in 1924.
- ALBC: Watch Status, Considered a sustainable heritage chicken breed