The Blue Slate Turkey is considered a rare, heritage turkey that naturally reproduces. These turkeys are medium-sized with beautiful, solid slate or pale blue to gray plumage. Babies are light yellow with gray mixed in and are considered the blue slate “splash” and the “blues” of the breed. Their shanks and toes are pink. The beak is horn in color; the eyes are dark brown, and the beard is black. Blue Slate Turkeys are friendly, cold hardy and excellent foragers.
Average Weight: Toms 23 lbs, Hens 14 lbs.
- Weights: Hen: 14# Tom: 23#
- Purpose and Type: Meat; Exhibition
- Egg Production: Poor
- Egg Size: Large to Extra Large
- Color of Egg: Off White wit Brown Specks
- Temperament: Active
- Broody: Setters
- Country of Origin: North America
- APA: Yes, Recognized by the Standard of Perfection